August 18, 2011
NASCUS Hosting Annual Summit Featuring Discussion on Navigating Regulatory, Congressional and Member Expectations
Arlington, Va. NASCUS will host its annual gathering of the state credit union system, the State System Summit, in Chicago, Sept. 14-16, 2011.
This year's event is a forum for collaboration on the most critical economic, regulatory, legislative and examination issues facing the state credit union system today. The agenda features state and federal regulators, policymakers, credit union leaders and other system experts discussing how state credit unions can thrive in this challenging regulatory and legislative landscape.
Some of the Summit faculty and presentation topics include:
- Issues and Priorities of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (CFPB), former Massachusetts commissioner Steve Antonakes will discuss the essential partnership between the states and the CFPB
- National View of Systemic Risk, Bill Haraf, Commissioner of the California Department of Financial Institutions, will discuss systemic risk and his work on behalf of the state system on the Financial Stability Oversight Council (FSOC)
- Two Points of View: Supervising State Banks and CUs, Dual Regulators Share Perspectives on Economic Recovery, panel includes tenured state regulators Gavin Gee (ID) Ed Leary (UT) and Janet Powell (OR)
- The State of the Credit Union Examination, an interactive discussion featuring state regulators, league executives and credit union CEOs including Roger Little (Past NASCUS Chairman and retired Michigan regulator), Stacy Augustine (Northwest Credit Union Association) and others to be announced
- NCUA Outlook for 2012, NCUA Chairman Debbie Matz will preview NCUA’s priorities for 2012
- How Credit Unions are Performing in Today’s Challenging Economy, Jeff Post, President and CEO, CUNA Mutual Group
- Report from the NCUA Inspector General, Bill DeSarno will present lessons learned from NCUA Material Loss Reviews of failed credit unions
- PCA Implications for Credit Union Capital, Professor Clifford Rossi will discuss his recent study findings regarding the need for enhancements to the capital structure of credit unions
- Critical Compliance Update, Compliance expert Bill Klewin from CUNA Mutual will share his expertise on the compliance landscape facing credit unions and regulators
"It's difficult to point to any other time where regulators and credit unions were operating in a such a complex financial environment with growing regulatory and consumer expectations," said NASCUS President and CEO Mary Martha Fortney. "NASCUS invites the credit union system to participate in this event to discuss how we adapt to this new era of changing and complex financial services."
In addition, the NCUA national and regional staff will join NASCUS regulators for the NASCUS/NCUA Interagency Dialogue on Sept 16. For credit union attendees, the annual “State Credit Union Issues Briefing” will provide a forum for discussion on the latest credit union challenges, Sept. 16. In addition, NASCUS’ popular Directors College will take place Sept. 16.
NASCUS Summit registration is complimentary for members of the press. Contact Kate Hartig at email@example.com for information.
NASCUS: Kate Hartig, VP, Public Relations and Legislative Affairs, (703) 528-0669 or firstname.lastname@example.org